When some people think of comfort food, they think of Chicken Fried Steak, Mac N Cheese and just good down home cooking! Now I have been able to veganzie all of that and I love it. But when I am in need of some great comfort or just want to be able to "throw" something together, I opt for my Nacho Salad.
Now lets talk health benefits. You wouldn't think "Comfort Food" as being healthy, but this nacho salad has several ingredients that are very good for you:
- Tomatoes- have lyocopene ,which has cancer fighting effects
- Avocados-good source of fiber, potassium and vitamins C &K
- Black Beans-great source of calcium and fiber
- Nappa Cabbage-is full of vitamin C, a great anti oxidant
So you can enjoy your comfort food and know that you are adding some great nutrients to your meal!
1 bag organic tortilla chips
2 cups shredded Napa Cabbage or lettuce
2 chopped Roma tomatoes
1 diced avocado
Vegan sour cream
For the queso:
¼ cup nutritional yeast
¼ cup flour (I use rice flour to make it gluten free)
1 can of rotel or 10 oz. of your favorite salsa
1 cup water
Cumin, Chili Powder, Onion Powder
For the nacho topping:
½ cup TVP (optional)
½ cup water
½ can black beans
Salt, Pepper, Beef flavored seasoning
1. In a small saucepan add the nutritional yeast, flour and whisk together with the water. Add the seasonings to taste. Turn on medium heat and continue to whisk until it starts to thicken. Once thickened, whisk in the rotel or salsa. Stir until heated and set aside.
2. Place the TVP and the water in a glass bowl and add the seasonings. Microwave for 1 minute. This will reconstitute the TVP. It should look like ground beef. Stir in the beans and season to taste.
3. Put a layer of chips on an oven safe platter, sprinkle the “beef” mixture on top and coat with queso. Place in 350 degree oven until heated.
4. Remove from oven and garnish with lettuce or cabbage, tomato and avocado. Top with vegan sour cream.
I like to add black beans and cilantro to the queso to make a great dip!