Fall is my favorite time of the year for cooking. I love roasting veggies, making big batches of chili, cornbread and all things pumpkin. I even add pumpkin to my chili. In fact, I have won a Blue Ribbon three years in a row for my chili. That recipe will be posted during the Vegan Month of Food in October.
This Roasted Acorn Sqaush is perfect for any fall evening. I paired mine with roasted asparagus and a very colorful salad. It would also go very well with a French Onion Soup.
|Roasted Acorn Squash Stuffed with Kale & Quinoa|
2 medium acorn squash, halved and seeded
1 small yellow onion, sliced very thin
1 bunch of kale, chop and remove stems
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 15 oz can white beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 cup kalamata olives, chopped
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons olive oil, optional
1 tablespoon earth balance butter
salt and pepper to taste
vegan Parmesan cheese
1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
1 veggie bullion ( I prefer the low sodium Edward & Sons)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Salt and pepper squash halves and place cut side down on the pan and cook for 20-30 minutes. You want the edges to get a nice brown color and the squash to be soft.
- Bring 2 cups water, bullion cube and quinoa to a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 20-25 minutes until liquid is absorbed.
- Add olive oil to a large skillet. You can also saute the onion in water if you want to eliminate the oil. Add onion and cook, stirring until starting to brown. Add garlic and cook stirring for one minute. Add water, tomato paste, salt and pepper. Stir in chopped kale. Keep stirring as the kale starts to wilt. Cook until kale is at your desired texture. Stir in rinsed beans and olives, cook until heated. Remove from heat and stir in cooked quinoa.
- Fill each squash half with one cup of the mixture. Sprinkle vegan parmesan cheese on top and broil for for 1-2 minutes to brown the cheese.
|This is the salad I served it with.|
This was inspired by a recipe in the cookbook "Eating Well Fast and Flavorful Meatless Meals".