First, I must start by saying that I never knew that it would be so challenging to do a blog post everyday! I signed up in October to be a part of the Vegan Month of Food with such good intentions. I was on a roll for a few days, and then I started getting very busy. So I am going to try to at least post a favorite recipe or something related to my plant powered life at least once a week, ok maybe once a month. Don't hold me to it, but I will try.
Ok, so back to the Green Bean Casserole. This has always been my daughter’s favorite Thanksgiving recipe. I even bought her a casserole pan with the recipe printed on the bottom! It was so simple she could just throw it all together and put it in the oven.
I realized that we have not made it since I became a vegan over 5 years ago. Sure, she has eaten it at other places, but I never thought to try and veganize it, strange since that is what I do for a living!
I have a client that requested it for Thanksgiving, so I got busy searching the web for ideas! I usually look at a recipe and say" that is a good idea, but I would do...". While searching the internet, it looked like they all used soy milk to make the cream sauce. I love soy milk, just not to cook with. I think it leaves a very distinctive soy flavor. I decided that vegan sour cream mixed with faux chicken broth would be a good start. After combing some nutritional yeast and worcestershire sauce (vegan of course), I think I have it pretty close. Actually better!
|Green Bean Casserole|
Green Beans- You can use fresh. 1 1/2 pounds. Just trim and cut into bite size pieces and cook. I used a big 50 oz can just to make it easier
1 8 oz tub of vegan sour cream. I used the tofutti brand.
10 oz baby bella mushrooms
3 cloves of garlic
1 TBS Earth Balance Butter
1 TBS Vegan Worchestershire sauce (krogers store brand is vegan)
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
2 TBS flour. I used rice flour to make it gluten free
1/2 cube of vegan chicken bullion cube
salt, pepper, onion salt
3 oz can french fried onions
- Pre heat oven to 425
- Clean the mushrooms and chop them very small or put them in the food processor for a rough chop.
- Place the vegan butter, mushrooms and garlic in large skillet. Cook on medium until mushrooms are soft. Stir in the worchestershsire sauce
- In two seperate bowls, add 1 cup hot water to each. In one bowl, place the un chicken bullion cube and whisk until disolved. In the second bowl, add in 3/4 of the container of sour cream and whisk until it is the consistency of milk. Add the flour and nutritional yeast to the sour cream mixture and whisk together.
- Add the broth and sour cream mixture to the mushrooms and cook for 5 mins until thickened stirring constantly.
- Add green beans and stir to coat. Add salt, pepper and onion salt to taste.
- Pour into a 9x13 casserole pan. Pour french fried onions on the top.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.